Re: How to keep a table in memory? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Luke Lonergan
Subject Re: How to keep a table in memory?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
href="mailto:gsmith@gregsmith.com">mailto:gsmith@gregsmith.com</a>]<br/> Sent:   Monday, November 12, 2007 11:59 PM
otherideas for "pinning" a table in memory?<br /><br /> If the table you're worried about is only 20MB, have you
consideredjust<br /> running something regularly that touches the whole thing?  This may be the<br /> only time I've
everconsidered running "select count(*) from x" as a<br /> productive move.  That would waste some CPU, but it would
givento look at the<br /> pg_buffercache contrib module to get a better idea what's going on under<br /> the LRU hood.
Infact, you may want to install a tweak that's standard in<br /> 8.3 to show the usage counts in order to better get a
feelfor what's<br /> going on; the appendix on my article at<br /><a
href="http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/chkp-bgw-83.htm">http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/chkp-bgw-83.htm</a>
yourfriend<br /></font>