Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Syed, Rahila
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,
I would like to contribute few points.

>XLogInsertRecord(XLogRecData *rdata, XLogRecPtr fpw_lsn)
>         RedoRecPtr = Insert->RedoRecPtr;
>     }
>     doPageWrites = (Insert->fullPageWrites || Insert->forcePageWrites);
>    doPageCompression = (Insert->fullPageWrites == FULL_PAGE_WRITES_COMPRESS);

Don't we need to initialize doPageCompression  similar to doPageWrites in InitXLOGAccess?

Also , in the earlier patches compression was set 'on' even when fpw GUC is 'off'. This was to facilitate compression
ofFPW which are forcibly written even when fpw GUC is turned off.doPageCompression in this patch is set to true only if
valueof fpw GUC is 'compress'. I think its better to compress forcibly written full page writes.

Regards,

Rahila Syed