Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Förster
Subject Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tim,

> On 31. May, 2020, at 15:26, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. for moving Oracle databases, we use to just use sed and change the
> paths in the control file. Worked remarkably well. Often used this
> technique to 'refresh' our dev or testing systems to current prod data.

it works well if the length of path+filename does not change. I had bad experiences with this technique if the length
changesbecause controlfiles are binary files unless you alter database backup controlfile to trace as '...'. So, as I
said,you need to recreate the controlfile.

But this is Oracle and not PostgreSQL... let's leave it at that here.

Cheers,
Paul