Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Keller
Subject Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Paul

Paul Förster <paul.foerster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I like the idea of global container/cluster-wide views such as CDB_TABLES, etc.,
> a thing which I definitely and seriously miss about PostgreSQL.

Can you specify little more: What's the use case for this (assuming
you know dblink and postgres_fdw)?

:Stefan

Am So., 31. Mai 2020 um 17:09 Uhr schrieb Paul Förster
<paul.foerster@gmail.com>:

> Hi Tim,
>
> > On 31. May, 2020, at 15:26, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
> > P.S. for moving Oracle databases, we use to just use sed and change the
> > paths in the control file. Worked remarkably well. Often used this
> > technique to 'refresh' our dev or testing systems to current prod data.
>
> it works well if the length of path+filename does not change. I had bad experiences with this technique if the length
changesbecause controlfiles are binary files unless you alter database backup controlfile to trace as '...'. So, as I
said,you need to recreate the controlfile.