Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12 Apr 2016, at 14:12, Yury Zhuravlev <u.zhuravlev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Justin Clift wrote:
>> Simon included a short starter list of potentials which might be in
>> that category:
>>
>>  * SQL compliant identifiers
>>  * Remove RULEs
>>  * Change recovery.conf
>>  * Change block headers
>>  * Retire template0, template1
>>  * Optimise FSM
>>  * Add heap metapage
>>  * Alter tuple headers
>>  et al
>
> + CMake build I think.
>
> Now I can build:
> * postgres
> * bin/* programs
> * pl/* languages
> * contrib/* (with cmake PGXS analogue)
>
> Can run regression and isolation tests for postgres/pl* and all contrib modules.
> There is still a lot of work but I hope everything will turn out. Also it would be good to get help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS https://github.com/stalkerg/postgres_cmake

If/when PostgreSQL can be built and tested with CMake... why would the
resulting code + database files + network protocol (etc) not be compatible
with previous versions? :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi