Re: Will This Work? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Matt Musgrove
Subject Re: Will This Work?
Date
List pgsql-novice

filesand network connections. Afterwards we run a bash script to create the application database detail files.  We use
thisbash script to define certain files on specific raid-1 file systems.
> How would we do this using PostgreSQL?  What is the version of PostgreSQL you would suggest running on RHEL 5.9
x86_64?If I wanted to move from Oracle to PostgreSQL is it possible to use a Oracle export DMP file to load the
PostgreSQLdatabase?

> Thanks,
> Gene Poole

My co-worker and I ported our application from Oracle to PostgreSQL.

I can't answer your questions about netca or dbca created configuration files. I never really used either of those
tools.

We started from scratch with everything which is both a blessing and a curse (mostly a blessing).  Obviously, it look
uslonger than if we had used ora2pg or another tool to port the table structures. Now we have a better grasp of what
PostgreSQLcan and cannot do. We were able to use PostgreSQL features that Oracle lacked. Also our stored functions are
muchcleaner since they were all rewritten from scratch at the same time.

We are also using RHEL 5.9 x86_64. We could have used the RPM's provided by the community but instead chose to install
fromsource because it gives us more flexibility (our own version of Perl, binaries and data where we want them, etc).
Westarted with 9.0 but switched to 9.1 partway through our conversion. We're running 9.2 now and will be moving to 9.3
soon.If I were in your shoes, I would start with 9.3.

No, as far as I know, there is no way to use an Oracle dump file to load the PostgreSQL database.

HTH,
Matt

Matthew Musgrove
EF Johnson Technologies, Inc.
Senior Software Engineer
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.