Re: Will This Work? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Will This Work?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Gene Poole wrote:
> If I wanted to move from Oracle to PostgreSQL is it possible to use a Oracle export
> DMP file to load the PostgreSQL database?

Oracle goes out of their way to ensure that it is difficult to get data out
of an Oracle database and migrate it somewhere else.
No tool supplied by Oracle will extract the data in a useful format.

If you use Toad (an expensive third party tool), that will do the trick.
There is also ora2pg or oracle_fdw to extract data from Oracle to PostgreSQL.

I'm only speaking about the actual data here, not the metadata.
ora2pg does a good job there, but you'll probably need to do some
stuff by hand or check that ora2pg's suggestions are sane.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe