Re: psql \e broken again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Travis P
Subject Re: psql \e broken again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:14:06PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> As far I I'm aware, the options on windows are very much like those on
>> unix:
>>
>> "path containing spaces" or
>> path\ containing\ spaces
>
> My guess is that we should only address spaces on Win32, but should
> document why did didn't do it on Unix.  Also, what about OS X?  Doesn't
> that have frequent spaces in file paths?

The underside of MacOS X is BSD-flavor Unix of course.  For anyone
setting an environment variables, they are playing directly with that
layer.  I'd recommend leaving it as you do for all Unix varieties and a
user can can quote or backslash-escape, just as he or she can on any
other Unix.

As precedent, other utilities, like 'find' don't to anything special
with the spaces, which can cause complications if you don't know to
anticipate dealing with that.

-Travis