Re: Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Hotmail
Subject Re: Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization
Date
In response to Re: Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization  (Hotmail <crajac66@hotmail.com>)
List pgsql-admin
We actually keep track of the wait events in another grafana graph. We use the following query to generate the graph. (We assume that an active session that has a NULL wait_event is "ON CPU”.  Not sure if our assuming an active session with a null wait being on cpu is valid. We sample pg_stat_activity every 30 seconds.

SELECT
 coalesce(wait_event, 'ON CPU') AS type,
 count(*)
FROM
 pg_stat_activity
WHERE
 state = 'active'
 AND usename != 'repmgr'
GROUP BY
 TYPE
ORDER BY
 count(*) DESC ";

Here’s a sample from our wait_event graph during times when we see high active sessions but a sleeping postgres OS process. Is it possible we could be hitting an un-instremented wait event?

Craig