Re: Disk buffering of resultsets - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: Disk buffering of resultsets
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Atenciosamente,

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter

On 22-09-2014 14:16, Steven Schlansker wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/21/2014 11:24 AM, Lussier, Denis wrote:
>>> This does seem very worthwhile.  Can someone please sketch out a
>>> mini-design and see if it makes sense to the pgjdbc core?   I'd be
>>> willing to hack some code, but, I'd want the design to be pre-vetted.
>> Actually, on second thought, if we're going to do this we'd be silly to
>> restrict it to spilling to disk.
>>
>> What we should have is the ability to flush a resultset to non-memory
>> storage that provides a given interface when it exceeds a given size.
> This all sounds very interesting, but should it really be baked into the driver?
> Shouldn’t such a mechanism be built on top of the JDBC API?  Then it could work
> independently of the Driver implementation.
>
> Additionally, if this does get implemented, please leave it off by default.  We
> have many SSDs backing our database server and very little space / IOPS on
> application nodes (intentionally, and I’m not sure we are the only ones) so
> suddenly spilling to disk could be disastrous for our performance.

Seems obvious, because new features like this proposal should always be
off by default.
+1. I've designed application architecture to overcome such limitations,
and I'm really not interested in having disk cache slowing down my App
server...

Thanks,

Edson.