Re: Disk buffering of resultsets - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Disk buffering of resultsets
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 9/22/2014 10:16 AM, Steven Schlansker wrote:
> Additionally, if this does get implemented, please leave it off by default.  We
> have many SSDs backing our database server and very little space / IOPS on
> application nodes (intentionally, and I’m not sure we are the only ones) so
> suddenly spilling to disk could be disastrous for our performance.

we have a high volume messaging subsystem that normally uses no disk,
but if a subscriber goes offline, it spools to disk, then when the
subscriber comes back, it plays back those spools.  its designed this
way, its advertised as working this way, we require high performance
dedicated RAID storage on the messaging box for these spools.... time
and time again operations has seen it happily hum along for 6 months
with no disk IO usage, and push it onto 2nd/3rd tier storage to free up
the 1st tier for something else.   then a subscriber goes offline for 14
hours, and the system just croaks and can't keep up.