Re: Standalone Windows Installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Gainty
Subject Re: Standalone Windows Installation
Date
Re: Standalone Windows Installation  ("Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-general
Jörn

a Microsoft Windows Installer is supposed to do:
a)configure any/all server binaries to work as a Windows Service (take a look at Admin/CPanel/Services) ..
b)retain these configurations in the windows registry as identified by CLSID (a unique ID which tracks
the binaries characteristics such as version,location,size,which Windows Groups/users can access) as well
as any dependencies these binaries may have to report to to Win32 dependency manager

When the Windows Installer is out of synch with the installed MS binary as what happens when you install a Windows Service Pack your install may only partially install leaving the installation in a unusable state where you would then have to
1)clean out the registry for all of the entries for the program (exes) and all of its associated dependent dlls
2)delete the installation root folder (and all associated programs)
3)delete any/all links/aliases to those programs

so what started off with a Installer version mismatch can easily turn into hours or even a day long task especially with binaries who may drop into windows/system32 folder (as is the case when jsvc with msvcrt -this is the MAIN runtime library for MS)

In a perfect world where all environments, all resources and all capabilties of the operator are known the windows installer works as intended..change any version of any characteristic of the above requirements one iota and the installer breaks the install..

I vote Postgres sans Windows Installer
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note