PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Ralph
Subject PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I have recently upgraded 10 Postgres databases to 11.2, these databases are used for data warehousing / ETL.  These are stand alone systems, no replication. They perform a lot of inserts, drop tables and create tables etc…

I have been working on tuning the databases, I am seeing the following in the log:

2019-09-03 10:40:21.660 EDT [5635] LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (13 seconds apart)

2019-09-03 10:40:21.660 EDT [5635] HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_wal_size".

My first thought was to increase the max_wal_size which may take care of the logged message.  Then I looked at the wal_level setting.  I see that it defaults to replica out of the box and max_wal_senders = 10.

postgres=# show wal_level;

wal_level

-----------

replica

(1 row)

postgres=# show max_wal_senders;

max_wal_senders

10

(1 row)

The question I have is, for a production database not doing replication, can I safely set the following parameters, I understand that minimal will also disable wal_archiving so I am concerned about that as well.

wal_level = minimal

max_wal_senders = 0

I have been looking at the documentation and I guess I am looking for a yes this is ok, I figured it’s on by default for a reason so I was hesitant to change it.

Jason Ralph

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.