Re: Is there an md5sum for tables? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Chobot
Subject Re: Is there an md5sum for tables?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Michael Enke wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to know if multiple tables have (may have most probably)
> identical content.
> Since I want a fast solution (which means not comparing tables row
> by row),
> I thought it would be a good idea to have an sql function operating
> on a table or view
> similar to md5sum on a file and only compare the generated hashes.
> I did not find such a function in the documentation.
>
> Is such a function already available?
> If not, does it make no sense to use such an approach?

I've found that it's pretty easy to dump both tables to text files and
then diff them. Then, not only do you see if there are differences,
ou can see what's different about them, which is probably going to be
your next question when you see they're not the same. :)