Is there an md5sum for tables? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Enke
Subject Is there an md5sum for tables?
Date
Re: Is there an md5sum for tables?  (Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com>)
Re: Is there an md5sum for tables?  (btober@ct.metrocast.net)
Re: Is there an md5sum for tables?  (Ben Chobot <bench@silentmedia.com>)
Re: Is there an md5sum for tables?  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,
I need to know if multiple tables have (may have most probably) identical content.
Since I want a fast solution (which means not comparing tables row by row),
I thought it would be a good idea to have an sql function operating on a table or view
similar to md5sum on a file and only compare the generated hashes.
I did not find such a function in the documentation.

Is such a function already available?
If not, does it make no sense to use such an approach?

Regards,
Michael

--
Wincor Nixdorf International GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Paderborn

Diese E-Mail enth�lt vertrauliche Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrt�mlich
erhaltenhaben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie
dieunbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail
inerror) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or
distributionof the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.