Help on collation and accent sensitivity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jlmssilva
Subject Help on collation and accent sensitivity
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

This is probably a very basic question but I'm having a problem writing queries that should be accent insensitive. I
havepg v8.1 for Windows installed with Portuguese support and everything works fine except a very basic thing.

An example query like the following:

select name from clients where name like '%Jose%'

should return all names including Jose or Jose' (or any other accent variation) because they are equivalent but I'm
gettingfrom pg only the ones I specifically include in the query expression. We have lots of expressions with
equivalentslike these and it is not possible to explicitly decompose a query in all possible variations. I've also
verifiedthat it sorts correctly ignoring accents and the problem is only in querying. I'm experienced with SQL Server
(nowlearning pg) and there only by choosing the appropriate collation I get case/accent sensitivity policy well
defined.Is there any similar parameter in pg that I've missed and have the same effect?

Can anybody help me on this?

Many thanks

JLS