Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kirk Strauser
Subject Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?
Date
Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Jan 15, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:

> But if your application is designed to work well with pooling, it
> can provide dramatic performance benefits.

I think that's the problem.  As I mentioned at one point, a lot of our
applications have connections open for hours at a time and fire off
queries when the user does something.  I'm coming to think that
pooling wouldn't give much benefit to long-living processes like that.

On a related note, is max_connections=400 reasonably sized for a
server with 8GB of RAM?  Again, most of these are dormant at any given
time.  The database itself is currently hosted on a  dual Xeon server
with 3GB of RAM and other applications so I'm sure the new 8-core/8GB
hardware is bound to do better at any rate.
--
Kirk Strauser