Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Long
Subject Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs
Date
List pgsql-general
Alan Hodgson wrote:
On Thursday 15 January 2009, Jason Long <mailing.list@supernovasoftware.com>
wrote:
*I am attempting to vacuum and reindex my database.  It keeps timing
out.  See commands and last part of output below.  The vacuum or reindex
only takes a short time to complete normally because the database it
less than 50 mb.  I have the query timeout set to 2 minutes, but I do
not know if this can affect vacuumdb or reindexdb and the time should
take much less than 2 minutes anyway.
Obviously it is affecting it and it is taking longer than 2 minutes
regardless of how long you think it "should take". Set it higher for these
tasks or buy a faster server.

A faster server.
Well the sever is plenty fast.  It has 2 quad core 1600MHz FSB 3.0 GHz Xeon 5472 CPUs and a very light workload.

My statement about the time is that it has never taken that long.  Ever.  Not even close.

I will increase the setting and see if that works.