Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 15 January 2009, Jason Long <mailing.list@supernovasoftware.com>
wrote:
> *I am attempting to vacuum and reindex my database.  It keeps timing
> out.  See commands and last part of output below.  The vacuum or reindex
> only takes a short time to complete normally because the database it
> less than 50 mb.  I have the query timeout set to 2 minutes, but I do
> not know if this can affect vacuumdb or reindexdb and the time should
> take much less than 2 minutes anyway.

Obviously it is affecting it and it is taking longer than 2 minutes
regardless of how long you think it "should take". Set it higher for these
tasks or buy a faster server.

--
Current Peeve: The mindset that the Internet is some sort of school for
novice sysadmins and that everyone -not- doing stupid dangerous things