Active Sessions - killing them via Sql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carl Olivier
Subject Active Sessions - killing them via Sql
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings.

I need to be able to call the DROP DATABASE via Sql - i.e. I cannot run any scripts on the actual POSTGRES server as I am remotely connecting to it over TCP/IP via JDBC.

Unfortunately I need to kill off any active connections to the specified database before the DROP DATABASE command will work.

Is there anyway from within a JDBC connection to say the template1 database as the superuser on a POSTGRESQL server to:

1.  Determine what connections are open and active to a specified database (this I can get from the stats tables)
2.  Kill ALL these sessions. (or specifiy each and kill thme individually)...

I am using POSTGRES version 7.3.2.

Thank you in advance,

Carl Olivier