Re: dumb question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: dumb question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 13, 2006, at 11:47 , Craig White wrote:

> seems to be a lot of work just for this...the problem is trying to use
> rubyonrails and their 'migrations' which cause this...

<snip />

> psql:db/development_structure.sql:211: ERROR:  must be owner of schema
> public
>
> So how can I just 'munge' the system tables? I have granted all
> privileges to this user.

In all honesty, they're not meant for general use because it is quite
easy to irreparably screw up your database. The fact that you have to
ask how to do this makes me think that it's not a good idea in your
case. Documentation on the system tables (also known as the system
catalog) is included in the PostgreSQL documentation. And before you
do anything, I highly recommend backing up.

I do think it would be easier for you to upgrade. 7.4 is now two
releases behind. There's a lot of good stuff in 8.1.

As for the issue with Ruby on Rails you mention above, you'll need a
database user with superuser privileges. Newly created databases are
based on templates, and the public schema in the templates is most
likely owned by someone other than the user you're connecting as for
your tests. To be able to change the owner of a schema, the user
running the command needs to be a superuser.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com