Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Winter
Subject Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"?
Date
List pgsql-general

It means a table that, due to the rules on it, works exactly like a view
(from the client's perspective).  (Here, let me call it a view-table.)  No
row ever gets inserted into the view-table.  The rules deflect inserts into
one or more base tables.  Updates and deletes, though from the client's view
they modify or remove rows in the view-table, actually update and delete in
the underlying base tables.

> For example, if a row is
> "inserted" that doesn't come into the on select output, was a row
> inserted?

In what I'm doing, that would not happen.  But there might be a case where
someone would want a design where rows inserted through the view-table,
though they do get inserted into the underlying base tables, would not be
visible through SELECT actions on the view-table.  I can't imagine offhand
why anyone would want to do this, but I don't see why PostgreSQL should stop
them.  (...Actually, on second thought, I have thought of doing a trick like
this myself, to get around the PostgreSQL constraint I'm complaining about:
Define a view-table with all of the update rules on it, so no rows ever get
inserted into it but my client tools can do updates against it; then define
a second, read-only, view for SELECTs to reveal the data entered through the
first view.  Right; I would rather not stoop to this.)

> Can it cause unique key violations, can it satisfy a foreign key
> constraint?

PK, UK, FK, and check constraints would all be defined on the base tables,
not on the view-table.  So actions on the view-table would satisfy or
violate these constraints, like any other actions redirected through
PostgreSQL update rules.

~ Ken