Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Ken Winter wrote:

> [...]

How is this different from a view with on insert, on update and on delete
rules right now?

> > For example, if a row is
> > "inserted" that doesn't come into the on select output, was a row
> > inserted?
>
> In what I'm doing, that would not happen.  But there might be a case where
> someone would want a design where rows inserted through the view-table,
> though they do get inserted into the underlying base tables, would not be
> visible through SELECT actions on the view-table.  I can't imagine offhand
> why anyone would want to do this, but I don't see why PostgreSQL should stop
> them.  (...Actually, on second thought, I have thought of doing a trick like
> this myself, to get around the PostgreSQL constraint I'm complaining about:
> Define a view-table with all of the update rules on it, so no rows ever get
> inserted into it but my client tools can do updates against it; then define
> a second, read-only, view for SELECTs to reveal the data entered through the
> first view.  Right; I would rather not stoop to this.)
>
> > Can it cause unique key violations, can it satisfy a foreign key
> > constraint?
>
> PK, UK, FK, and check constraints would all be defined on the base tables,
> not on the view-table.  So actions on the view-table would satisfy or
> violate these constraints, like any other actions redirected through
> PostgreSQL update rules.

But then this "view-table" isn't really a real table. If it's not a
real table, it pretty much defeats the original stated argument of having
"real tables with on select rules".