Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Ken Winter wrote:

> Hi Tom ~
>
> You're right:  I appealed to the PostgreSQL folks rather than the client
> tool builders.  I did so because my guess is that the latter have a harder
> row to hoe:  They have to figure out whether a view really IS updatable -
> most presumably aren't, so if they provide forms that offer to update views,
> most of the time these forms are going to crash.  It seems harder for the
> client tool builders to figure out the updatability question than for
> PostgreSQL to let people (like me) do the "real table with ON SELECT" trick
> and take responsibility for making it work.  I don't see why that is
> inherently "broken".

What does a "real table with ON SELECT" mean? For example, if a row is
"inserted" that doesn't come into the on select output, was a row
inserted? Can it cause unique key violations, can it satisfy a foreign key
constraint?