select slow? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jaime Casanova
Subject select slow?
Date
Re: select slow?  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-performance
hi all,

i have an amd athlon with 256 ram (i know, this is not a *real* server but
my tables are small)

i'm using vb6 (win98) with pgsql-7.3.4 (rh8) trough the psqlodbc.

when i do a select in took long to execute, here is an example

table icc_m_banco

CREATE TABLE ICC_M_BANCO (
       CodBanco             SMALLINT NOT NULL,
       Descripcion          CHARACTER VARYING(60) NOT NULL,
       RefContable          NUMERIC,
       Estado               CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
       FecRegistro          DATE NOT NULL,
       CONSTRAINT EstadoBanco CHECK ((Estado = 'A') or (Estado = 'I')),
       PRIMARY KEY(CodBanco)
);

select * from icc_m_banco where codbanco = 1;

it tooks 13s from it's send until it's executed.

explain analyze give me this result:

explain analyze
select * from icc_m_banco where codbanco = 1;

Seq Scan on icc_m_banco  (cost=0.00..1.06 rows=6 width=41) (actual
time=7.94..7.96 rows=4 loops=1)
Total runtime: 63.37 msec
(2 rows)

so i think its not a database problem (at least it's not all the problem),
though it seems to me it is taking a lot of time executing this.

am i right? any suggestions?