Re: select slow? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: select slow?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 30 March 2004 20:25, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> hi all,
>

> i have an amd athlon with 256 ram (i know, this is not a *real* server but
> my tables are small)

Nothing wrong with it - it's what I still use as my development server.

> i'm using vb6 (win98) with pgsql-7.3.4 (rh8) trough the psqlodbc.
>
> when i do a select in took long to execute, here is an example

> CREATE TABLE ICC_M_BANCO (
>        CodBanco             SMALLINT NOT NULL,

> select * from icc_m_banco where codbanco = 1;
>
> it tooks 13s from it's send until it's executed.

Try:
  SELECT * FROM icc_m_banco WHERE codbanco = 1::smallint;

By default, PG will treat a numeric constant as integer not smallint, so when
it looks for an index it can't find one for integer, so scans instead.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd