Re: SQL query never ends - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From James Im
Subject Re: SQL query never ends
Date
Re: SQL query never ends  (Jan de Visser <jdevisser@digitalfairway.com>)
Re: SQL query never ends  (Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
I've tried to reproduce the bug on a linux box but couldn't. I don't
know what to think. May be I haven't tried hard enough or may be this is
a windows bug or a bug in postgresql on windows. As I said, I don't know.

I think that one way to find out would be to get enough information
about what's happening from the java side (something like loglevel=10
?). The driver (or a special version of the driver just for this
purpose) could contain a lot more traces so that: 1) any problem of
synchronization could be discarded. 2) you could know what java has sent
through the socket and  3) what it has received until the moment the
code will block.

I've never really looked at the driver's code so for me it would be hard
to do this but I think that if one of you know the driver's code well it
should not be that hard. As I said above: I could understand  that you
don't want to add many traces in the driver and call it version 408 but
you could send me a 'custom' version of the driver with all these traces
enabled, just to find out what's happening.

Oliver Jowett wrote:
>James Im wrote:
>>The file commview.zip contains  traces of the postgresql port captured
>>with Commview (demo). error4.cap should contains the error but may be
>>the beggining is missing. In error5.cap contains all packets exchanged
>>during the error. I'm 100% sure about this capture session. The error
>>should be near the end of the file I guess.
>
>Well.. this has me confused.
>
>The wireshark version has the driver sending a normal query and
>getting no response from the server .. some time later, it sends a
>Terminate (presumably in response to a close() call) and the other end
>resets the connection. Looks like what I'd expect if there was a
>stateful firewall losing connection state somehow, but the connection
>hasn't been idle, so it's not just a simple timeout.
>
>The commview version just has a normal connection as far as I can see.
>I don't see anything strange at all there..
>
>About the only explanation I can come up with is if something
>somewhere is silently eating responses from the PG server at random
>intervals!
>
>-O

V�lg selv hvordan du vil kommunikere - skrift, tale, video eller billeder
med MSN Messenger:  http://messenger.msn.dk/  - her kan du det hele