exception handling in postgres plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Karthikeyan Sundaram
Subject exception handling in postgres plpgsql
Date
Re: [SQL] exception handling in postgres plpgsql  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: exception handling in postgres plpgsql  ("Igor Neyman" <ineyman@perceptron.com>)
List pgsql-admin

Hi,

  I am having a function like this

create or replace function audio_format_func (
    in p_bitrate audio_format.audio_bitrate%TYPE,
    in p_sampling_rate audio_format.sampling_rate%type,
    in p_bit_per_sample audio_format.bit_per_sample%type,
    in p_audio_codec audio_format.audio_codec%type,
    in p_mimetype audio_format.mimetype%type,
    in p_mono_stero audio_format.number_of_channel%type) returns int as
$$
DECLARE
  p_audio_id audio_format.audio_id%type;
begin
   select  audio_id into a
     from audio_format
    where audio_bitrate = p_bitrate
      and sampling_rate = p_sampling_rate
      and mimetype = p_mimetype
      and number_of_channel = p_mono_stero
      and audio_code = p_audio_codec;
   return 1;
  exception
   when NO_DATA_FOUND
   then
      return 100;
end;
$$
language 'plpgsql';

When I compile, I am getting an error message
ERROR:  unrecognized exception condition "no_data_found"
CONTEXT:  compile of PL/pgSQL function "audio_format_func" near line 15

How will I handle exceptions in postgres?

Please advise.

Regards
skarthi

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now.