[Patch] - Fix for bug #2558, InitDB failed to run on windows 2003 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From dror
Subject [Patch] - Fix for bug #2558, InitDB failed to run on windows 2003
Date
List pgsql-patches

Hi All,

As some of you already noticed and as mentioned in pgsql-hackers  before,

the initDB process failed to run on some windows 2003 machines.

Although this issue was already discussed by James Hughes,Martijn,Jim Nasby and others I didn't no patch was created and

no fix was committed to the CVS.

On some windows 2003 machine there is no access to the nul device for non administrator's users.

The initDB.c redirect the output to > DEVNUL which on windows defined has "nul".

There were two options to solve this issue:

  1. Create a new file , grant a write permission for the Postgres user  and redirect the output to that file. (EnterpriseDB  use this method)
  2. Canceling the redirection at all.

I choose the second option and omit the redirection in any case that it windows machine and the redirection was sent to DEVNULL.

The only files that I changed are: initDB.c, exec.c and pg_ctl.c

I think postgres must solve this issue, as more and more windows 2003 machine will be discovered with this limitation which prevent from the users to install (actually to initialize ) the DB.

One more comment:

As today we have  and MSI installer which redirect the initDB output to a log file by default (and we can also run it in the background) there is no point to use redirection at all.

The fixed files are attached.

Regards

Dror Bar-Gil

With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free!
Attachment