Re: using window functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Manesajian
Subject Re: using window functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

psql --version returns 8.4devel. I would in fact like to try a newer snapshot, but I'm not sure how to get one. The devel snapshot 'one-click-installer' link provided at postgresql.org gives a 2009-01-01 version with no options for anything newer or older. I was thinking my next step would be to build from source by grabbing the next daily snapshot. Is this the thing to do?

Regards,
Daniel

> To: manesaj@hotmail.com
> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] using window functions
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:58:25 -0400
> From: tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> Daniel Manesajian <manesaj@hotmail.com> writes:
> > When I try a simple query "select avg(my_int) over (order by my_int rows unbounded preceding) order by 1;" I get an error:
> > ERROR: syntax error at or near "over"
>
> You sure you're actually talking to the 8.4 server? Because that's
> exactly what you'd get if you tried to feed the command to an older
> release.
>
> You might in fact need a newer snapshot too. The main window functions
> commit went in 2008-12-28 but I recall that there were some mop-up fixes
> afterwards. At best a 1-Jan snapshot would be a bit unstable.
>
> regards, tom lane

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.