Database Objects & States - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adnan DURSUN
Subject Database Objects & States
Date
List pgsql-hackers
       Our database has about 700 objects (tables,views, stored functions,
types etc), we want to make a change on a view or tables, it said that there
were a lot of depended obejcts. I know that depended object must be dropped
and then created to solve this. But, It has too many dependecies to drop.
       It will be nice to all,  if PostgreSQL database objects has an state
(valid/invalid) like Oracle has. Depended objects states are changed to
invalid if any changes would make to the objects that are referenced by
them.
   For example ;
       Assuming, we have a table named "T" and a view named "W". We wanna
change on a column table "T", it will said that view "W" depended on it. If
the database would has a lot of dependecies then the problem will never be
solved. In my opinion, we let  the changes on table "T" then must change the
state the view "W" to invalid.
       Of course, i dont know if this is possible..
       I hope this is not a nice dream :-)

Best regards

Adnan DURSUN
ASRIN Bilisim Ltd.