Re: 8.2 features status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 8.2 features status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I am interrested in finding out what you folks mean by usability and
> refinement.  How do you measure it?  These seem to me to be unmeasurable
> hackneyed terms with little intrinsic meaning!

Yep you are absolutely right. That is what press releases are all about.

> So could you say
> something like: the New Postgresql, version 8.2,  building on its
> reputation of sheer power and ACID compliance, now implements feature 1,
> which provides benefit 1, plus feature 2, which leads to benefit 2,
> plus .... etc. thereby maximizing overall ease of use. ??
>
> WE tend to speak of features, now is a good time to speak of benefits to
> the dba, benefits for upgrading to an existing project, etc.

If they don't know by reading the terms, then they will want to buy
reading the 50 cent, fancy words.

>  The New
> Postgresql 8,2 will increase speed of response by x %, ad hoc queries
> will be x % faster, etc.  I know I am being simplistic, but the benefits
> need to blurt out, and be immediately recognizable as such to the
> majority of players.  JMUETCW. Michael

Percentages never work because it depends on a specific work load,
specific design, specific hardware etc...

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/