Creating Index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From carter ck
Subject Creating Index
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I am wonderring the differences between creating an index on several columns
of a table and an index on each column of a table.

For example, following is my select query:

select * from my_table where myrowid='abc' and mytask='TEst 1' and
myday!='holiday';

Which of the following is a correct way of indexing the column?

1. create index my_table_my_index on my_table(myrowid, mytask, myday);
2. i. create index my_table_myrow_index on my_table(myrowid);
    ii. create index my_table_mytask_index on my_table(mytask);
    iii. create index my_table_myday_index on my_table(myday);

All helps are appreciated.

THanks.

Get an advanced look at the new version of Windows Live Messenger.
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview