Re: Merged Model for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Annamalai Gurusami
Subject Re: Merged Model for libpq
Date
Re: Merged Model for libpq
Re: Merged Model for libpq
List pgsql-general
On 2 April 2011 11:17, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> what you describe is neither postgres nor SQL
>
> perhaps you should look at a storage engine like BerkeleyDB

I hope that not everybody dismisses this mail thread because of the
above response.  We are deriving our product from pgsql.  And since we
are customizing pgsql to our proprietary telecom products, we are
using things that are not designed for that purpose.  For example, we
are using SPI to come up with an embedded client.  I was basically
trying to find out if there are better alternatives.  Have the pgsql
development team thought about embedded clients and is SPI the way to
go?

What we are trying to achieve is that a single application can work as
an ordinary client or an embedded client.  For example, if we
implement libpq using SPI interface then any libpq client can behave
as an ordinary client (using current libpq library) or as an embedded
client (by making use of libpq over SPI - which we are implementing).

I have no clue as to why you have recommended BerkeleyDB in this
context!  What I have described is pgsql and the applications all use
SQL queries.  If somethings are not clear and requires further
elaboration from me, kindly let me know.  Providing inputs to extend
pgsql in a proper well-defined way will help us to contribute back the
feature to pgsql (if my company decides so and if pgsql needs it.)
Even if the feature is not contributed back, if the pgsql dev team
finds it a useful feature, anybody can implement it.

Thank you.

Rgds,
anna

--
'உண்மை ஒருநாள் வெளியாகும், அதில் உள்ளங்களெல்லாம் தெளிவாகும்.
பொறுமை ஒருநாள் புலியாகும், அதற்கு பொய்யும் புரட்டும் பலியாகும்.'