Re: Merged Model for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Merged Model for libpq
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/04/11 12:43, Annamalai Gurusami wrote:

> What we are trying to achieve is that a single application can work as
> an ordinary client or an embedded client.

That makes a lot of sense, and would be useful for testing too.

> I have no clue as to why you have recommended BerkeleyDB in this
> context!   What I have described is pgsql and the applications all use
> SQL queries.

Yeah... I'd think that FireBird, SQLite or embedded MySQL would make a
lot more sense than BDB. Personally, I suspect that anybody who suggests
Berkeley DB for a job hasn't programmed with it!

I can personally see some advantages in being able to use the same API
for in-database and outside-database clients. The biggest issue, though,
is transaction management. Until/unless Pg gains support for autonomous
transactions, there are operations that can be performed in libpq that
just don't make sense in an spi context.

--
Craig Ringer