Set transaction waiting mode and timeout - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Durumdara
Subject Set transaction waiting mode and timeout
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

In Firebird the transaction can be parameterizable as:

SET TRANSACTION
   [WAIT | NO WAIT]
   [LOCK TIMEOUT seconds]

The "NO WAIT" is force transaction to return instantly with errormsg
when some deadlock situation happened, Timeout is define the seconds
for wait.
This can be set for each transaction I used.

I search for same option in pg if exists.
Because when I do this (theid field is primary key):

Con1.Begin
Con2.Begin
Con1.Exec(insert into x (theid, value) values (1, 'a'));
Con2.Exec(insert into x (theid, value) values (1, 'a'));
then Con2 is remaining in deadlock state (nothing happened, the code
is waiting for the transaction's end).

When Con1's transaction is end, Con2 is continue...

But users better like the ErrorMessage than incomprehensible "freezed screen".
And I also better like the controllable situation (I can re-try 3 times, etc.).

Thanks for your help:
     dd