Re: re-install postgres/postGIS without Loosing data?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From G. P.
Subject Re: re-install postgres/postGIS without Loosing data??
Date
Re: re-install postgres/postGIS without Loosing data??  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
can I download from somewhere "clean" pg_hba.conf / postgresql.conf with default values, just to ensure that the failure is caused by them ?

From: Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>
To: Thierry Hauchard <gesteam_l4d@gesteam.fr>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 12:46:11 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] re-install postgres/postGIS without Loosing data??

On 05/18/2011 03:46 PM, Thierry Hauchard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We experienced similar problem : it was just the encoding of pg_hba.conf
> that was accidentally changed when modifying it (UTF8/ansi)

The encoding should not matter unless there are characters above byte 128, because UTF-8 and the ANSI encoding are the same from 0-127.

I guess it's possible that Pg chokes if it finds a byte-order mark (BOM) at the start of pg_hba.conf; I haven't tested this. A BOM is optional for UTF-8 text but some text editors do add it, and I've run into software that chokes on a BOM before. Many editors do assume unknown text is UTF-8 if they can't identify it as some other known encoding, and some would add a BOM on saving in this case.

If there is a byte order mark (BOM) you'll be able to tell because the first three bytes of pg_hba.conf or postgresql.conf , when examined in a hex editor, will be 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF .

--
Craig Ringer