WIP: AuthenticationMD5 protocol documentation clarification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cyan Ogilvie
Subject WIP: AuthenticationMD5 protocol documentation clarification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
This is my first patch, so I hope I've got the process right for submitting patches.

I'm building a driver to talk version 3.0 of the protocol, and generally I've found the documentation to be excellent.  One are I had trouble with was responding to the AuthenticationMD5Password challenge.  After receiving help on IRC, I've attached a patch to the protocol documentation attempting to clarify what is expected by the backend, basically:

concat(
    'md5',
    hex_encode(
        md5(
            concat(
                hex_encode(
                    md5(
                        concat(password, username)
                    )
                ),
                salt
            )
        )
    )
)

My technical writing skills were not up to wording that in plain english, and it seems like the rest of the documentation for the protocol steers clear of anything that looks like code.  Is this policy in this area or is the code-esque description ok?

No code is changed, only documentation, so I've left out the code-relevant patch info fields

Patch info:

Project name: postgresql
Branch: master

Cyan