Re: shared folder in Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: shared folder in Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir@gmail.com> wrote:
> From my limited knowledge I think we need a shared location where the master
> node is putting the WAL files in and the slave nodes also look at the same
> folder to get new WAL logs to replay the files. Now if we cant have that
> shared location and a scenario where all slaves and the master cant see one
> shared location, how to approach this?

no. while you can do that, it's optional...

you can setup a hot standby just by setting:

on master:
=== postgresql.conf ===
wal_level=hot_standby
archive_mode=on
archive_command='exit 0'
max_wal_senders = <number of slaves or greater>

on slave:
=== postgresql.conf ===
hot_standby=on

=== recovery.conf ===
standby_mode='on'
primary_conninfo = 'host=master_ip'

or you can use repmgr to make all this easier:
http://projects.2ndquadrant.com/repmgr

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL