Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 5 May 2011 19:17, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Saying "similar to in-memory tables" sounds immediately misleading to
>> me.  If I didn't know any better, I'd assume:
>
> We can be perfectly technically correct, or we can have people who
> aren't already PostgreSQL users get interested enough to try our stuff.
>  There is no third choice.
>
> So far, the only suggestions I've seen for how to advocate this feature
> have involved renaming it, which isn't realistic at this point.  If
> someone has an alternative description for the feature that anyone who
> is not already a PostgreSQL DBA will care about, them please come
> forward with it.

How about my original suggestion which is: tables that sacrifice
crash-safety for speed... or much faster tables at the expense of
crash-safety?  A sub-note to that could be that in the unlikely event
of a crash, the table data will be lost, but not the table.

I personally haven't used "in-memory" tables, so may be appropriate to
the DBA demographic.  It doesn't sound right in my head though.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company