Re: branching for 9.2devel - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: branching for 9.2devel
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

On 04/25/2011 04:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
On 04/25/2011 03:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
*Ouch*.  Really?  It's hard to believe that anyone would consider it
remotely usable for more than toy-sized projects, if you have to list
all the typedef names on the command line.
Looks like BSD does the same. It's just that we hide it in pgindent:
Oh wow, I never noticed that.  That's going to be a severe problem for
the "run it anywhere" goal.  The typedefs list is already close to 32K,
and is not going anywhere but up.  There are already platforms on which
a shell command line that long will fail, and I think once we break past
32K we might find it failing on even pretty popular ones.

Well, my solution would be to replace pgindent with a perl script (among other advantages, it would then run everywhere we build, including Windows),  and filter the typedefs list so that we only use the ones that appear in each file with that file, instead of passing the whole list to each file.

Can we not setup a automatic mechanism where a submitter can send a patch to some email id, the patch gets applied on the current HEAD, pgindent is run and the new patch is sent back to the submitter who can then submit it to the hackers for review. If the patch does not apply cleanly, the same can also be emailed back to the submitter.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee