Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> * Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
>>> Much as I hate to say it (I too want to keep our schedule as
>>> predictable and organised as possible), I have to agree. Assuming the
>>> patch is good, I think this is something we should push into 9.1. It
>>> really could be a game changer.
>>
>> So, with folks putting up that we should hammer this patch out and
>> force it into 9.1..  What should our new release date for 9.1 be?  What
>> about other patches that didn't make it into 9.1?  What about the
>> upcoming CommitFest that we've asked people to start working on?
>>
>> If we're going to start putting in changes like this, I'd suggest that
>> we try and target something like September for 9.1 to actually be
>> released.  Playing with the lock management isn't something we want to
>> be doing lightly and I think we definitely need to have serious testing
>> of this, similar to what has been done for the SSI changes, before we're
>> going to be able to release it.
>
> Completely aside from the issue at hand, aren't we looking at a
> September release by now anyway (assuming we have to void late
> July/August as we usually do)?

I see no reason to delay from a July release as has long been planned.

What open items are genuine blockers?

If we need deadlines anywhere its in beta and final release, otherwise
we all just sit around shrugging and saying "another week I guess".