Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date
Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
>> Much as I hate to say it (I too want to keep our schedule as
>> predictable and organised as possible), I have to agree. Assuming the
>> patch is good, I think this is something we should push into 9.1. It
>> really could be a game changer.
>
> So, with folks putting up that we should hammer this patch out and
> force it into 9.1..  What should our new release date for 9.1 be?  What
> about other patches that didn't make it into 9.1?  What about the
> upcoming CommitFest that we've asked people to start working on?
>
> If we're going to start putting in changes like this, I'd suggest that
> we try and target something like September for 9.1 to actually be
> released.  Playing with the lock management isn't something we want to
> be doing lightly and I think we definitely need to have serious testing
> of this, similar to what has been done for the SSI changes, before we're
> going to be able to release it.

Completely aside from the issue at hand, aren't we looking at a
September release by now anyway (assuming we have to void late
July/August as we usually do)?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com