Re: branching for 9.2devel - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Blewett
Subject Re: branching for 9.2devel
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>>> You can't indent patches, only patched files. And that's the problem
>>> with this happy scheme. For it to work at all sanely we'd need to keep
>>> the committed code that the patch is to be applied against strictly
>>> pgindent clean, presumably via some automated process such as a commit
>>> hook. That's been suggested in the past, but hasn't met with universal
>>> approval, IIRC.
>
> Well, there is another solution to this, which is to use Git branches
> and forks instead of mailing around patches.

Shouldn't it be as simple as keeping a git clone of trunk up to date,
applying the patch, running pgindent and emitting the resulting diff?
Once it's been generated, just run git reset --hard to clean out all
local changes.
--
Thanks,

David Blewett