Re: replay doesn't catch up with receive on standby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: replay doesn't catch up with receive on standby
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Steven Parkes <smparkes@smparkes.net> wrote:
> This is on 9.0.3: I've got two dbs running as standby to a main db. They start up fine and seem to think they're all
caughtup (by /var/log logs), but

> SELECT pg_last_xlog_receive_location() AS receive, pg_last_xlog_replay_location() AS replay;
>
> reports replay behind receive and it doesn't change. This is on both dbs.
>
> Notably the main db isn't (wasn't) doing anything, so no new commits were causing things to move forward. I did a
writeto it and both slaves moved both their recieved and replay serial numbers up.

> Is there a valid situation where an idle master/standby setup could remain with replay behind received indefinitely?
(Mynagios monitor isn't very happy with that (at present)) and before changing that I'd like to understand better
what'sgoing on.)

Did you run query on the standby? If yes, I guess that query conflict prevented
the reply location from advancing.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/hot-standby.html#HOT-STANDBY-CONFLICT

Regards,

--