Table name as parameter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sairam Krishnamurthy
Subject Table name as parameter
Date
List pgsql-general
All,

I have a function that takes the table name the parameter. After some digging I found that this can be made possible by have the query as a string and EXECUTE it.

EXECUTE 'SELECT * FROM "' || table || '" WHERE <condition>';

The above works.

But I want the result in a record variable for further processing. So my query actually is

EXECUTE 'SELECT * FROM "' || table || '" INTO "record_data" WHERE <condition>';

This one will not work with the following error message:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "INTO"

Can some one help me ?

Thanks,
Sairam Krishnamurthy