Re: ALTER TABLE ... DISABLE TRIGGERS Isolation leve - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ... DISABLE TRIGGERS Isolation leve
Date
List pgsql-general
CG <cgg007@yahoo.com> writes:
> I want to add a column to a table, but there are update triggers that will fire that don't need to fire for this
operation.So, I'd like to add the column with triggers off. Normally this operation would take 10 or so seconds, so
lockingthe table for that amount of time is not a big deal. I just want to make sure that no new data gets written to
thetable while the triggers are disabled.

Are you overthinking the problem?  Adding a column without a default
doesn't do any row updates and shouldn't fire any triggers.  I'm not
sure that adding a column *with* a default will fire update triggers
either.  (That might be a bug, if so ...)

Suggest testing before assuming you have a problem to solve.

            regards, tom lane