Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED
Date
Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED  (Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists@yahoo.it>)
Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists@yahoo.it> wrote:
>> Maybe you should change  xl_act_commit to have a separate list of rels to
>> drop the init fork for  (instead of mixing those with the list of files to
>> drop as a  whole).
>
> I tried to follow your suggestion, thank you very much.

I have to admit I don't like this approach very much.  I can't see
adding 4 bytes to every commit record for this feature.

> 3) Should we have a "cascade" option? I don't know if I have to handle
> inherited tables and other dependent objects

Look at the way ALTER TABLE [ONLY] works for other action types, and copy it.

> 4) During the check for dependencies problems, I stop as soon as I find an
> error; would it be enough?

It's a bit awkwardly phrased the way you have it.  I would suggest
something like:

ERROR:  constraints on permanent tables may reference only permanent tables
HINT:  constraint %s

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company