Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Leonardo Francalanci
Subject Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists@yahoo.it>
wrote:
> >> Maybe  you should change  xl_act_commit to have a separate list of rels to
> >>  drop the init fork for  (instead of mixing those with the list of files
> >> drop as a  whole).
> >
> > I tried to follow your  suggestion, thank you very much.
>
> I have to admit I don't like this  approach very much.  I can't see
> adding 4 bytes to every commit record  for this feature.

I understand.

What if, in xl_xact_commit, instead of

RelFileNode xnodes

I use another struct for xnodes, something like:

{RelFileNode xnode;bool            onlyInitFork;
}

That would increase the commit record size only when there are
RelFileNode(s) to drop at commit. So, instead of 4 bytes in
every commit, there are "wasted" bytes when the commit record
contains deleted permanent relations (that should happen much
less). I'm open to suggestions here...

> > 3) Should we have a "cascade" option? I don't know  if I have to handle
> > inherited tables and other dependent  objects
>
> Look at the way ALTER TABLE [ONLY] works for other action types,  and copy it.

Ok

Thank you very much

Leonardo