Re: Creating new remote branch in git? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Hunsaker
Subject Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 21:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In the next couple of days it's going to be time to branch off
> REL9_1_STABLE from master, and I realized that I am pretty foggy on
> how to do that in git.  I suppose it's some variant of
>
> git checkout master             # if not there already
> git branch REL9_1_STABLE
> git push origin REL9_1_STABLE
>
> but it's not clear to me whether any options are needed to ensure that
> the right branch tracking behavior gets set up.

That looks right, and yeah that won't setup that branch to track
upstream for you. However, it should work for anyone that gets that
branch as part of a fetch/pull. ( that is it will work like any other
remote branch )

Ive always found it easy enought to edit .git/config.  If you add an
entry that looks like any of the other RELX_X_STABLE branches it
should work fine. Something along the lines of:
[branch "REL9_1_STABLE"]   remote = origin   merge = refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE

> Should this process get documented at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_with_Git

+1 [ Im curious if any git experts chime in with a cleaner way than
mucking with the config file. ]